TrueAchievements Friend Feed for Randomnutta

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Not Bad For A Girl

The question is; does being female mean I have better skill gaming wise due to the ratio of men/women?
I don't believe so but others may, an example. "not bad for a chick" Is this said to the kids that play Halo as well? Not bad for a child.

There is one thing that does bother me as a female gamer, the excessive use of the word rape. Now I understand it is not meant in a literal sense but when did it become acceptable to relate something enjoyable to sexual assault? I may be over sensitive because of events in my life but is it really necessary?

On a lighter note I've been in arcade heaven these past few weeks reaching 85 complete titles, the best by far was Plants Vs Zombies! (I Love Katamari was a close second) Now to wait for the WP7 version (fingers crossed). Onward and upwards to 100.



8 comments:

  1. Okay Dane Cook...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not rape, it's surprise sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nothing personal - girls just aren't generally gamers. I must admit I myself was amazed to see that you play so much! Kids do get criticism too. 'not bad for your age' or 'wow, considering how young you are that's really good!', especially when it's only a degree of what you yourself are capable of. But it doesn't mean that applies to everyone - it obviously doesn't apply to you. The 'rape' thing ie. killing someone and going 'haha you got raped' shows how desensitised our world is these days. It's not necessary, but neither are 'your mum' jokes, swearing, anything negative generally really. It's another way of saying owned... but we all have our vices. My irritance is excessive swearing, because I really don't see the point of it & it's quite nasty to listen to. I swear definitely, but not more than what's 'acceptable'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dane Cook? Is that meant to be a criticism?

    Rape is surprise sex? Awesome, glad you're taking a post-modernistic view on a topic that strips the innocence of people (both females AND males) on a daily basis.

    "rape is an assault by a person involving sexual intercourse with another person without that person's consent"

    Don't see surprise written in there anywhere.

    ANYWAY!!! I think the whole 'not bad for a chick' thing is because gaming is predominately a male arena and girl gamers do represent the minority. Personally, I wouldn't take offence, because they're basically admitting that you just kicked their ass, but they're too proud to actually verbalise it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's called having some humour, something most gamers come with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would be surprised how some female gamers I have gamed with who have used that term even when dominating other players. I think in the context of LIVE / the Internet, you're going to get a lot of people who will say offensive things, and the only way to deal with them is to develop thick skin, and not let it get to you too much. I speak from experience, as I had to deal with it myself :-/.

    I have said this before to others, and I still stand by it, kids should not be allowed to play M rated games that have multiplayer components to them until they reach the age of 16 or 17. Parents should enforce this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If gamer talk offends you so much, then maybe gaming isn't for you.
    Perhaps try going outside, riding a bike, doing some gardening and going for walks on the beach.

    ReplyDelete